28.03.2024, 19:27 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
SteveR
Titel: CAD on Kanotix  BeitragVerfasst am: 25.08.2006, 14:53 Uhr

Anmeldung: 19. Aug 2006
I'd like to start a discussion of CAD on Kanotix.

I'm interested in either low cost native Linux 3D Cad implementations, or in porting low cost or free Win applications, like DesignCAD or TurboCad through Wine to Kanotix.

I've succeeded in porting TurboCad 2D LE through Wine. It's available free from http://www.al-ki.com/tcad/download.php

It will not run correctly in the version of Wine shipped with 2005-04 so I had to:
apt-get update
apt-get install wine

for the 9.15 Wine version.

To run Turbocad LE it you need to do a:

winecfg

in the user terminal (not root). This sets up a .wine folder in your Home dir, and opens the wine configuration utility. In the utility, the following settings worked for me on a Thinkpad 600e:

Default Settings:
Win98
Libraries Tab
msvcrt.dll native, builtin
rpctr4.dll native,builtin
Graphics Tab
color depth 16 bits
"Allow DirectX...." uncheck
Enable Desktop...."uncheck
"Emulate a virtual...." check, 1024 by 768
Direct 3D ---- Emulation
Uncheck hardware shader.

You must add native msvcrt and rpcrt4 dlls in the wine System 32 directory.

After this, unzip the Turbocal LE file to the "C" drive and run install.exe. This will install Turbocad.

I'd be intereted in hearing from others who use CAD on Kanotix

--Steve

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
SteveR
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 25.08.2006, 15:40 Uhr

Collabcad at www.collabcad.com looks promising.

On their Downloads page they list a version bundled onto Knoppix.

If someone with high speed Internet connection donloads this, I'd be interested to hear about how it looks. If it's good enough I'll go to the library and do the 6 hour download myself.

--Steve

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
titan
Titel: Re: CAD on Kanotix  BeitragVerfasst am: 25.08.2006, 16:34 Uhr

Anmeldung: 07. Mai 2005
SteveR hat folgendes geschrieben::
I'd like to start a discussion of CAD on Kanotix.

I've succeeded in porting TurboCad 2D LE through Wine.
--Steve

Why not use Qcad for 2d, it is fine for basic drawing but limited to dfx although I think there are converters if needed.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
SteveR
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 25.08.2006, 22:05 Uhr

Titan, hello,
because I sell drawings for a living, the fonts are important to the appearance of the drawing. I'm used to being able to use TrueType fonts in drawings such as "City Blueprint," and "Country Blueprint". I even developed a truetype font that mimicked my own hand lettering -- I used to draw with Ink on Mylar. I'd like my plans to look personal rather than seem too "industrial" cad-like.

QCad seems to use it's ownproprietary fonts. They appear to be the style once used by pen plotters with multiple lines to produce thicker letters. Since the majority of plotters today are inkjet and dot-based, it's possible to produce WP quality fonts on drawings, and the old pen plotter style doesn't have any advantage..

I think QCad is a nice program otherwise. The TurboCAD LE I mention above does TrueType fonts and has a big variety of file formats available for export. It's free, just requires setting up Wine. Like QCad, it's a 2D program.

But mainly what I'd like is a 3D Cad program that can do assemblies, and produce AutoCad compatible DWG and DXF files -- if possible.

titan
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 26.08.2006, 10:14 Uhr

I spent a while looking for cad for Linux last year, I found this link and tried all of the ones that were either free or had a trial period, may be something here for you. The list looks as if it has quite a few additions since I last looked, so maybe things are looking better for cad on Linux. www.tech-edv.co.at/lunix/CADlinks.html

slam
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 26.08.2006, 18:56 Uhr

Anmeldung: 05. Okt 2004
This list is fine - I have posted it several times here in this forum already.

QCad is very nice and free - but I agree on the font problem. I had contact with one of the developers, and he agreed. They added the free usage of other fonts on the ToDo list, so we should stay tuned.

Meanwhile I also found collabcad very interesting, it is used already by highly professional teams, and it offers collaborative work, which is just great. I am working on packaging the monster for Kanotix and will let you know when it is ready.

Depending on your CAD needs (which can be very different), please have look at the bunch of German topics here, and just follow the links to mentioned applications - no need to understand German. Winken

Hopefully also some of the German CAD pros wil ljoin our discussion here.

Greetings,
Chris

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen AIM-Name Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ-Nummer 
titan
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 26.08.2006, 19:16 Uhr

I have tried the www.collabcad.com link several times since it was posted and eventually get server down message, a minor problem or worse. The other links Google pick up via Cascade look good.

titan
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 26.08.2006, 21:11 Uhr

slam hat folgendes geschrieben::

Meanwhile I also found collabcad very interesting, it is used already by highly professional teams, and it offers collaborative work, which is just great. I am working on packaging the monster for Kanotix and will let you know when it is ready.

Chris

The site is now working and it looks interesting but the licence looks restrictive is it compatible for distribution with Kanotixs. just asking. Weinen

SteveR
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 28.08.2006, 01:42 Uhr

Wow, great response and info.

I really do like Qcad a lot and look forward to the possibility of font flexibility. It's a nice clean and simple program.

Here is an excellent Linux CAD site with some really good info on using Wine (including some dll overide info) with a variety of CADs (see the "Wine Cellar section, especially the Intellicad entry):

http://pfrostie.freeservers.com/cad-tastrafy/

Zuletzt bearbeitet von SteveR am 28.08.2006, 15:35 Uhr, insgesamt ein Mal bearbeitet

SteveR
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 28.08.2006, 03:22 Uhr

I went to the library Saturday with 3 charged batteries and my laptop to download CollabCad on their high speed connection, expecting another 5-6 hour hard wooden chair marathon. But like Titan, found out their server was down Geschockt

Back at home this morning, found the server was back up, but it would be a 60 hour download here, and no telephone, too.

Anyway, another interesting looking Cad (2d) written to be OS independent (in Java) is:

http://javacad.sourceforge.net/

But it's unclear how to install it to try it out. Kind of strange that they used RibbonSoft's symbol as a demo drawing.

Also looks like the project was abandoned a few years ago. Still, it might form the basis of a new project if there's a java programmer out there interested enough to want to extend it. It would be nice to have an OS Independent CAD.

I've been interested in shoestring-budget computer aided design for years. In 1984 I built a computer called an LNW-80 from ICs and bare pc boards. built an eprom programmer and an EPROM eraser from a sunlamp to program the ROMs.

With the computer I wrote a 3D wireframe display program in FORTH and Z80 assembly language that would show the boat hulls I designed in perspective. I built a single pen plotter from surplus stepper motors, and some brass rods and hardware store fittings, and a big piece of particle board. I built a printer from an old IBM selectric terminal, driving the tilt and rotate solenoids from the parallel port and an EBCDIC to ASCII lookup table in high memory.

It was poverty computing. .........Fun.

SteveR
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 28.08.2006, 23:45 Uhr

QCad printer problem:

Kanotix ver. 2005-04

When attempting to print a drawing in Qcad, I found there were no printers listed in the print dialog screen. There were 2 printers actually available and installed, one on the parport and one on the network, but neither was visible to Qcad. The printers had workd fine with other apps however, as well as a test page print.

After a long web search I came across a similar problem discussed re. Qcad on Ubuntu. The proposed solution was to issue the following from the root terminal:

mv /etc/printcap /etc/printcap_old
ln -s /var/run/cups/printcap /etc/printcap

The first line didn't work -- couldn't stat /etc/printcap , so there was nothing to preserve. The second line did what was needed, and Qcad was able to identify both printers in the print dialog after the change.

titan
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 29.08.2006, 08:31 Uhr

SteveR hat folgendes geschrieben::
QCad printer problem:

Kanotix ver. 2005-04

When attempting to print a drawing in Qcad, I found there were no printers listed in the print dialog screen. .

The problem is still there in fully upgraded versions.I was in a hurry so I just printed to file then it printed fine from there. I never looked for a longer term solution as I thought it was a bug and get fixed eventually.

kb0hae
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 02.09.2006, 04:42 Uhr

Anmeldung: 22. Jul 2005

Hi Guys. I would like to find a program similar to 3D Home Architect. This is a Windows CAD program that lets you draw your own house plans using pre-defined objects (like windows, doors, furnature, etc...) and then you can do a 3D view or even a 3D walk-through. I did look at some of the programs goven on a web site earlier in the thread, but they look like they more for architecte of large comercial buildings. Probably larger and more complex that anything I would need.

If I could find such a program that is easy to use, that would be one more step to my goal of getting completely away from M$.

slam
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 02.09.2006, 10:48 Uhr

Anmeldung: 05. Okt 2004
kb0hae hat folgendes geschrieben::
If I could find such a program that is easy to use, that would be one more step to my goal of getting completely away from M$.

Welcome at "Anonymous Windoholics"! Winken

The majority of people who probably use home design software are probably not OSS geeks. I'm willing to bet a lot of them are (gasp!) interior designers, landscapers, and architects. Hell, they just might still use Windows 95. So, don't expect too much.

There are alternatives around:

Radiant http://www.qeradiant.com/ is fun. It started as a level design tool for games, but it is easily extendable, and of course there are tons of ready made objects around you can use for furniture planning. You might find similiar (quite advanced) tools with other games, HalfLife2 comes in my mind here.

You may use Moray & Povray - easy to set up whatever scenery you need with objects you create. But be aware that there is some learning curve before you will have usable results.

You might enjoy reading this topic at Slashdot http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/03/07/181235&tid=152, some very professional answers to your question can be found there.

If all that does not satisfy you, you might still run your favorite Windows-application in Kanotix using Wine, Crossover or Vmware. So, don't worry - you can wipe your Windows and your addiction will be healed shortly. Winken

Greetings,
Chris

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen AIM-Name Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ-Nummer 
SteveR
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 30.10.2007, 01:00 Uhr

I just wanted to update this topic -- the lack of an inexpensive or open 3D CAD program of professional caliber is still the critical element keeping me from moving over entirely to Linux. But it looks closer than ever now.

I was successful in downloading and burning the Collabcad (www.collabcad.com) Live CD on Knoppix (actually not pure Knoppix but a reworked version; "Niclinux) And it ran reasonably well on my laptop. The main problem for me was that wireless networking wasn't fully enabled (WPA absent) and hard drives were not writable with this Live CD.

I was able to HD install it (despite warnings) just as a test. It was difficult to determine how to do that, but after reading the Knoppix pages on the web and figuring that the process would be the same (Knoppix-install script) with the script name change to Niclinux-install) it worked.

Some problems -- notably the inability to read a Sandisk usb thumb drive (Cruzer) and the wireless problem (no WPA support).

I knew there would be problems but just wanted to see if it was possible as a "disposable" test installation.

The collabcad program itself ran very well.

Now, what I would REALLY like to have is a Kanotix install of Collabcad.

For engineers like me, this would be the ultimate OS and program combo, and it would certainly mean severing all ties to Microsoft operating systems and software. My other needs are completely covered by Linux, (and Kanotix in particular).

Today I've been downloading the Collabcad Linux tgxz, in hopes of an attempt at installing it on Kanotix -- I'm not very experienced at this -- but will try.

On the negative side, I have found several references on the web to an install problem with Collabcad on Ubuntu, and I don't know if this will affect the current version of Kanotix as well.

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone with a similar interest, and experience at installation of apps -- maybe we can get it working together, with a set of instructions for others -- to be published on the Wikki.

Thanks.

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.