29.03.2024, 00:03 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
maury
Titel: Grub loading error  BeitragVerfasst am: 09.10.2007, 22:01 Uhr

Anmeldung: 09. Okt 2007

After installing Thorhammer RC6 to a Clean Install hard drive I am receiving a Grub Loading Error 18. when rebooting after the install. Everything ran very good fron the CD before the install. TIA: maury

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
Kano
Titel: Grub loading error  BeitragVerfasst am: 09.10.2007, 22:10 Uhr

Anmeldung: 17. Dez 2003

Show me:

fdisk -l

and tell me what filesystem you used and where you installed grub.

maury
Titel: RE: Grub loading error  BeitragVerfasst am: 10.10.2007, 00:39 Uhr

I use removeable drives and I did a re-install and told it to install grub 0n / of hda6 which is the drive in question. I still get the same error? I have to stop for the day but will look at it again later.

I am impressed with what you have done and will put more effort into it later. I'm 75 years old and get tired easy. I run Debian Etch as my main system but have been looking for a Debian distro which is more polished than what I can piece together. Later: Maury

Kano
Titel: RE: Grub loading error  BeitragVerfasst am: 10.10.2007, 02:04 Uhr

hda6 is not the mbr, there must be another grub half sitting in the mbr.

maury
Titel: RE: Grub loading error  BeitragVerfasst am: 10.10.2007, 18:47 Uhr

OK I have done the following. Re-Downloaded and burned another CD. I have never had a bad burn with my burner so doubt it is a problem.
The hard drive I am trying to install to, I did a killdisk on it which returned it to an all zeros state.
Re-did the install using option #1 and it set it up as follows. /dev/hda 2020 swap, dev/hda 74297, /dev/hda5 swap, /dev/hda6 -ext3-automount, Grub boot loader MBR /dev/hda (80.026.361.856),The installation seems to go along normal and complete BUT when I reboot I get an ERROR 18 as it tries to load Grub???

Kano
Titel: RE: Grub loading error  BeitragVerfasst am: 10.10.2007, 19:36 Uhr

Show me the output and don't write it down manually - use mouse button 1 to mark and 3 (wheel) to insert.

maury
Titel: RE: Grub loading error  BeitragVerfasst am: 10.10.2007, 20:18 Uhr

Sorry I don't understand what you are trying to tell me? I wrote down what the installer said it was doing during the installation, Once installed I can't boot up it just hangs at the Error 18. It works good with the Live CD. I suspect a glitch in the installer. I could wipe the drive again and try installing another distro that I know works just to make sure the drive is OK. I have no reason to suspect it has a problem. Following are my system Specs.
Home Built: August 2006

Case: Mid Tower 11 Bay ATX Black Steel Clear side with LED Fan

Power Supply:Ultra / X-Finity / 500-Watt / ATX / 120mm Fan / SATA-Ready / SLI-Ready /

System Board: Gigabyte GA-M55SLI-S4 AM@/ATX/3 PCI-E *1 GbE/4 SATA II/1394a/10 USB 2.0 Note! First board failed and was replaced 2-4-07

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Windsor AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Windsor 2000MHz HT 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Dual Core Processor - Retail

Memory: OCZ Dual Channel Special Ops XTC 1024MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory (2 x 512MB)

Video: GIGABYTE GV-NX76G256D-RH Geforce 7600GS 256MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Silent Pipe, Lead Free Video Card - Retail

DVD Combo: Phillips

HDD. Removable Drive bays. Primary : WD 80 GD Ultra ATA 133. Backup drive: WD 80 GB

Kano
Titel: RE: Grub loading error  BeitragVerfasst am: 10.10.2007, 20:28 Uhr

I want:

fdisk -l

output, not what the installer writes.

maury
Titel: RE: Grub loading error  BeitragVerfasst am: 12.10.2007, 14:19 Uhr

Hi Kano
Sorry for the delay. I don't know how to do what you ask (fdisk -1) I'm not a programmer but if it will help you and you want me to try to get that info for you, I will try.if you tell me how to do it. Remember the drive won't boot.
Last night I tried another install on a different drive with the same result. Before starting I looke at my Debian installation and there is a Grub folder in /boot.
I then put the failed install drive in and booted with the Kanotix CD and found that the Grub folder is in /hda6 where the system is installed??
While doing the install I was very careful in making sure the installer was told to place it in the MBR and everything seems to work and it reports having put it there.
Things have come up and I wont be able to spend time on the problem for a couple of days but have the drive on a shelf and can get back to it later.
Don't feel you have to do anything about this, I am only doing this for your information in case it will help you. I can just wait for the next version to come out. I am impressed with what I see running on the CD. Regards: Maury

Daddy-G
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 12.10.2007, 15:48 Uhr

Anmeldung: 01. Mar 2005

Hi maury
in most cases, when Kano or other supporters say show me "command" , you should open the Konsole Terminal and write down as root the command.
the command "fdisk -l" means "filedisk list" not . fdisk -1 (one)

Better use copy and paste like Kano wrote above, to avoid this misunderstanding.
Winken

btw. the "grub"-folder is always in the "boot"-folder if grub is in the mbr or in hda6.

maury
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 12.10.2007, 16:36 Uhr

Thanks Daddy-G
I printed your post out and when things slow down a bit I will maybe learn something new. Maury

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.