28.03.2024, 11:07 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
danboid
Titel: Package requests for 2006.1  BeitragVerfasst am: 01.05.2006, 22:51 Uhr

Anmeldung: 29. Apr 2006

gimp-print
xsane instead of the current scaning gui (can't remember its name)
nano

the first program I always install after dist-upgrading kanotix is normally

synaptic

but you probably want to avoid big GTK apps

and the really unlikely multimedia essentials I'll never get on the CD Smilie

flash-plugin non-free
**censored**
**censored**
xmms-musepack
jre

Get the top 3 in and I'd be happy!

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
slh
Titel: Package requests for 2006.1  BeitragVerfasst am: 01.05.2006, 23:42 Uhr

Anmeldung: 16. Aug 2004

jre is and always was included.

Crust
Titel: RE: Package requests for 2006.1  BeitragVerfasst am: 02.05.2006, 00:36 Uhr

Anmeldung: 20. Okt 2005

jre version 1.4 is included. I think he's talking about Sun Java 5 (also referred to as 1.5).

I have 1.5.0_06 installed.

-Crust

jackiebrown
Titel: RE: Package requests for 2006.1  BeitragVerfasst am: 02.05.2006, 00:37 Uhr

Anmeldung: 13. Mai 2005
kano gave a reason for that, i think it was size or something.

kanotixkudos
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 05.05.2006, 05:25 Uhr

Anmeldung: 14. Dez 2005

I request that Kgpg be again included. It is not in Easter-R2.

Also, Open Office. It is large but I believe much better than KOffice.

Perhaps Enigmail along with Thunderbird.

Kanotix is great! Smilie

jiro
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 05.05.2006, 14:51 Uhr

Anmeldung: 27. Jun 2005

kgpg
openoffice.org
superkaramba
ksudoku
kanotix-update-gui

(thanks for a superb distro...)

Richard
Titel: Re: Package requests for 2006.1  BeitragVerfasst am: 06.05.2006, 16:42 Uhr

Anmeldung: 07. Nov 2005
danboid hat folgendes geschrieben::
gimp-print
xsane instead of the current scaning gui (can't remember its name)
nano

the first program I always install after dist-upgrading kanotix is normally, synaptic

Happy to find out what scan gui is active.

I can live with everything else, so long as Krusader is available after boot.

regards,
Richard.

rich.bradshaw
Titel: RE: Re: Package requests for 2006.1  BeitragVerfasst am: 06.05.2006, 17:52 Uhr

Anmeldung: 14. Jan 2006

kanotix-update-gui should definatly be included...

devil
Titel: RE: Re: Package requests for 2006.1  BeitragVerfasst am: 06.05.2006, 18:54 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 06. Mai 2005
rich,
i guess it will not be included. it can be helpfull sometimes, but for n00bs to rely on it can be harmfull, for example with dist-upgrades, if special parameters or precautions have to be taken.

greetz
devil

Host/Kernel/OS "devilsbox" running[2.6.19-rc1-git5-kanotix-1KANOTIX-2006-01-RC4 ]
CPU Info AMD Athlon 64 3000+ clocked at [ 803.744 MHz ]

kenyee
Titel: RE: Re: Package requests for 2006.1  BeitragVerfasst am: 06.05.2006, 23:49 Uhr

Anmeldung: 21. Jan 2006

ditto...I've stopped using it as well after it didn't go back to the UI for me once and I had to learn all the steps KUI took to do the dist-upgrade. It's not that big a deal. Doing ctrl-alt-F1, then su init 3, then dist upgrade then su init 5 isn't that big a deal after you've done it a few times...

piper
Titel: RE: Re: Package requests for 2006.1  BeitragVerfasst am: 07.05.2006, 17:06 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 03. Mai 2005
More BEER Smilie

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
cheko
Titel: RE: Re: Package requests for 2006.1  BeitragVerfasst am: 07.05.2006, 17:10 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Okt 2005

Katapult is one of the cool apps:

apt-get install katapult

Katapult is an application, which analyses text-based queries to launch items, such as bookmarks, directories or programs.
The application is currently in an early stage of development but the launchable item list can be extended by a plugin system, and the look and feel can be skinned.

Homepages: http://sourceforge.net/projects/katapult https://developer.berlios.de/projects/kubuntupult/

Screenshots: http://sourceforge.net/project/screensh ... _id=132227

Richard
Titel: RE: Re: Package requests for 2006.1  BeitragVerfasst am: 11.06.2006, 18:10 Uhr

Anmeldung: 07. Nov 2005
I suggest that Xfce be considered for inclusion on the CD.
It is now only on the DVD.

Why? I have been using IceWM over Kde in Kanotix-Easter-rc4 up-to-date, in order to use some Kde apps. But I changed to Thunderbird since Kmail has been sort of freaky.
At the same time, I changed to Xfce 3.9x. My system, P4-2.8GHz-512MB,
is now more responsive and stable than since I acquired it about a year ago.
Been using Kanotix since about 8-10 months ago. Of course, these are
all subjective observances.

Since then, the generally stability of the entire system has improved notably.
I can always install Kanotix without Gnome nor KDE and then get Xfce,
but it would be nice --if it can be fitted. Even preferred on the "Lite" version,
my personal favorite, since I prefer to get the latest stable from OOo. Actually,
already installed in separate /opt partition.
And Krusader only needs kdelibs and a couple of others
to run fine in Xfce.

Regards and thanks for a superb distro,
Richard.

slh
Titel: RE: Re: Package requests for 2006.1  BeitragVerfasst am: 11.06.2006, 19:25 Uhr

IceWM takes less CD space than XFCE and is quite acceptable for slow systems in live mode (small memory footprint), so xfce is not an option although I personally like it. Furthermore there is no DVD right now.

turtaf
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 16.06.2006, 13:25 Uhr

Anmeldung: 29. Aug 2005
Hi all, I just upgraded my laptopo to easter rc4 (as I was having problem I decided to make a new install) and after a bit of customization I can say :
WWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this is impressive, adept is the best apt tool ever, sound goes great, I have no more touchpad problems and kde 3.5 is awesome!!!!!

Now what really would make this distro the perfect one is XGL, Ididn't think of it as a great innovation, but I fell in love with it as I tried kororaa live cd to see it...

Another question: are you guys planning to stay on i586 architecture, or maybe starting using an i686 one????

Thanks again for the great material provided. Getting beter and better, wish you all the best

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen MSN Messenger  
slam
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 16.06.2006, 14:25 Uhr

Anmeldung: 05. Okt 2004
Although some hard core Gentoo fans still insist on it - there is no reasonable measureable difference in processing speed if you restrict your compilation to i686. What you really can measure is that that way you definitely close out older machines from using it at all ...
Another myth talks about faster kernels if unused modules are left out - actually you will not recognize any difference (except a couple of seconds in boot up time).
If you really need more speed, the solution is mostly trivial - go and get faster hardware. Winken
Greetings,
Chris

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen AIM-Name Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ-Nummer 
turtaf
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 16.06.2006, 15:53 Uhr

thanks for your answer, and what about reiser4 filsystem? I'm asking, 'cause I once tried yoper linux and I found it very fast, and the main differences were that it's compiled on i686 and uses reiser4.
It's just curiosity, not a critic, I definetly prefer kanotix, just wondering how things work on the os-es

thanks again

cheers

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen MSN Messenger  
piper
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 16.06.2006, 15:59 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 03. Mai 2005
reiser4 filsystem is still very buggy unless things have changed and I am sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
slam
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 16.06.2006, 16:18 Uhr

Anmeldung: 05. Okt 2004
Yoper was fast for one single very special reason (not because it was compiled for i686 or used the buggy reiser4):
It had pre-loaded and pre-linked KDE and several applications. This is a nice trick for a live-CD or a system that will never change, but please be aware that the effect does not remain after your first dist-upgrade. Actually it leads into several problems you would not be able to solve easily.

For some reason the Yoper developer decided to give up his distro and is employed at Novell/Suse now. Winken

Greetings,
Chris

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen AIM-Name Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ-Nummer 
turtaf
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 25.06.2006, 13:13 Uhr

Ok, so that's why I had my RAM more used on Yoper, I think.

Thanks guys for the explanation

Uh, for sure a kanotix request I have is kerry-beagle, in order to have beagle working and well integrated on kde. I'd use it a lot

cheers

Paul.G
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 27.06.2006, 22:56 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Jun 2006

I'll second the previous request for XFCE. I find IceWM too basic in appearance though lightweight. My objective is to wean Windows users (whose broken computers I fix) over to Linux. Appearance and simplicity is a big factor. Also KDE seems too bloated and slow (on older machines) to me though it has many options.

I know there can be hundreds of personal favourite type themes, but there needs to be a default professional type appearance to attract the largest number of people. XFCE icons and a handful of the standard XFCE themes are the best of all the themes I've seen on Linux distributions. (I'm basing this actually on a Live CD of Vector I tried with the startup option of 'XFCE-Rox' which it offers.)

The other thing needed to meet my objective is improvement in the default font appearance which after some research means (at the moment) recompiling the Freetype font renderer with the 'ByteCodeInterpreter' switched on, a setting of 96dpi and the use of the msttcorefonts. There is also a solution here which I am currently using: http://kanotix.com/PNphpBB2-viewtopic-t-18830.html - I don't see why both this and the 'ByteCode Interpreter' can't be implemented as standard - Suse (which I also find bloated and slow) and also I hear, Gentoo, enable the BCI.

I can find a way to set these things up myself in time, but either an easy menu based option or the default of these things will make a quick and easy conversion to Linux possible for my customers.

spacepenguin
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 29.06.2006, 21:49 Uhr

Anmeldung: 10. Dez 2004
I propose kdelibs4-dev and kdebase-dev. In a gamin compatible version. I'm really sick of always having to remove gamin to install the kde header files and not to be able to install xcfe4 because of that.
http://kanotix.com/index.php?name=PNphp ... 717#119717

And I think we should stay with the lightweight icewm (instead of xcfe4) and look for a way to get synaptic on the cd instead of adept.

Linux-Userin #213445
LastFM-Musikstatistik für Kanoten
Kanotix, siduction, Kubuntu, antiX

slh
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 30.06.2006, 01:02 Uhr

Definately not going to happen, CD space is rare and KDE is updating quite often.

Paul.G
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 15.08.2006, 23:11 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Jun 2006

Here's my request summary, after some experimenting and investigation, from a desktop usability viewpoint.

1) As part of the installer menu selection, options for a choice of font preference:
a) Traditional Linux
b) Windows style (msttcorefonts pre-installed, 96 dpi, no anti-alias(7-12pt), latest BCI-enabled Freetype)
c) Mac style (Lucida Grande font - if possible? - and anti-alias on).
All three options would benefit from 'dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig-config' being run as part of the installation process by default.

2) XFCE with standard themes as default or an option on the installer menu.

3) The Engage E17 dock as default or an option offered by the installer. (Integrated into XFCE).

4) A streamlined best-of-desktop package selection with just one or two alternatives per function. Built in iPod and msn functionality would be desirable.

Also, a simple stylish logo (instead of the 'cuddly toy' penguin type....) and a quality default wallpaper.

My rationale is that the default desktop needs to be most suitable for ordinary people. Tech people can easily customize for themselves. At the moment I have to do a lot of heavy customizing and updating to get something that ordinary users will like and therefore be able to use. This means that due to time constraints I can't really offer kanotix to broken
windows users.

Kanotix could find a niche amongst tech users and stay there with a loyal following like many Linux distros seem to. But having looked hard, Kanotix - being proper 'Debian plus' - is the best basis I have found for a Mepis/Ubuntu/Suse beating desktop that could really have wide appeal.

h2
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 16.08.2006, 00:26 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Mar 2005

Paul, I can answer some of these:

1. msttcorefonts cannot be distributed I believe, although it's fully legal for users to install it themselves

2. there is not enough room to have another windows manager in the cdrom, it already comes with icewm and kde and I think twm.

3. e17 is still alpha

4. would depend on somebody wanting to write that, which would mean that one of the kanotix team members thinks that's something interesting enough to spend their free time on.

What a desktop should look like is an odd question, it has to default to something, I'm fairly sure the new version is going to have extremely different graphics and splash stuff, but I haven't taken a look at the latest options.

Also, keep in mind that free projects like these do not necessarily benefit from expanding their user bases too far. Unlike mepis or ubuntu, which are both essentially commercial distros using debian derived sources, kanotix is currently a fully free distro, in the spirit of debian, not ubuntu. Who supports the larger user base? Who pays the extra server fees? Who supplies the bandwidth required? Who supports the newbie users on the forums or irc? And why? These are questions worth asking before suggesting that expanding user base to less tech savy users is a desirable project.

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.